One of the challenges in designing capacitive touch applications is the measurement of a very small change in capacitance between “touch” and “no touch” states. The new Timer_D peripheral in our MSP430™ ultra-low-power microcontrollers has a 4nsec resolution and offers faster response time with high sensitivity in ultra-low power capacitive button, slider and wheel applications.
Timer_D allows designers to develop advanced capacitive touch applications, such as two dimensional touch pads and multi-touch interfaces. Furthermore, the higher sensitivity allows for up to 1mm thick insulation overlays on touch sensors. Timer_D peripheral is now available on MSP430F51x1 and MSP43051x2 devices.
· Upto 256 MHz timer clock frequency (4 ns time period)
· Single and Dual Capture modes
· Ability to synchronize multiple timer instances
· Ability to synchronize loading of compare registers.
· Integrated TEC (Timer Event Control) to enable timer control via external signals
- MSP430 Capacitive Button, Sliders and Wheels
- MSP430F5xx/MSP430F6xx Family User’s Guide (Timer_D and TEC sections)
- Wireless Remote Controller With Capacitive Touch Pad Using MSP430F51x2
- Download MSP430™ Capacitive Touch Sense Software Library
- 430BOOST-SENSE1 - MSP430 Capacitive Touch BoosterPack
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.