TI E2E Community
Motor Drivers Forum
DRV8312 Layout Guide lines
On the lay out guide lines for DRV8312 in Data Sheet, on Page 23 - Figure 16 - titled "opposite side", are shown 6 holes on top and bottom. These are spaced 2 mm apart. The questions are:
(1) What these holes are for? What is the purpose they serve?
(2) Do they need to be plated thru?
(3) Do they need to be connected to the ground?
1) Please see figure 16. These are part of the thermal via pattern. They provide a thermal path for heat to flow from the top side to the bottom side for thermal relief. They are not absolutely necessary and can be omitted. The important vias are the ones right under the device.
2) Yes, they should be.
3) Yes, the exposed PowerPad on the bottom of the device needs to be connected to GND and these vias connect the top side GND plane to the bottom side.
Motor Drive Application Manager
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with respect to these materials. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.