I am experiencing problems with running mavrk applications from the GIT repository that I recently cloned.
1. According to the instructions: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Software_-_My_First_MAVRK_Application_(Using_Code_Composer) i should be able to import the project Basic_MAVRK_MSP430F5438_Template as Existing CCS/CEE Eclipse Projects. When I do so, I dont have any project in my Project Explorer view (it's blank). I am using CCS in version: 5.1.0.09000.
The board is disconnected when I try to import the project.
2. When I import the project as a General->Existing Projects into Workspace, The project appears at the Project Explorer view, but i have further problems:
a. When I click on the project properties:
And the debug properties looks like:
And the funny thing when I click on General:
b. I probably need .ccxml file, but its not included in project. Also, I dont know how to set the target configuration manually for a FET Debugger that was in the set. Do I need to plug the board first?
Why I can't succeed? Can you help me please?
first let me say, importing as a non CCS Project will not work.
You need to import and use a CCS Project for things to work for you. This leaves us with the issue of a blank Project Explorer window.
There are a couple things you can check and try. Also, as we have seen this odd behaviour in a couple isolated cases, this is something we are trying to dig into in the background. However this may not necessarily be related.
Things to check
- do you have full GIT access to check out all files? (specifically to you have access to the .ccsproject file, .project file etc that would be required for proper imporation?)
- I believe the MAVRK examples were mostly built in CCSv4. Have you tried the instructions using the latest CCSv4 release?
Have you successfully been using these examples before/at all?
Please keep us informed.
Thank you for your fast and precise answer. I will now answer all thee of your suggestions.
As for the GIT access, im not sure about this, but I think I downloaded all the necesary sources. My project directory looks like:
So it looks like I have the .cproject file and .project file. I don't have .ccsproject file, that you mentioned.
And for the CCS4: I have Version: 4.2.4.00033, the one before latest. When I try to import a project i see:
The strange thing is the "PROJECT_DIR" text. Then, after click on Finish:
And the project view looks like:
I cant do anything with this project. I cant compile it.
Also, when I click on the Properties->Debug I have an error similar that I had on the CCS5.1.
Is this possible to be the problem with incomplete download (your sugestion number 1)?
And for your last quiestion: I have never succeded in running any MAVRK application. I have tried with this MSP demo, and also with AFE-BREAKOUT-DEMO - no success.
I hope that now you can tell more about this case.
ok, please do one of the following
- try a redownload. You need a .ccsproject and .cdtproject file. Actually the project explorer being blank in v5 is specifically due to lack of a .cdtproject file. For the .cdtproject file we have verified a generic one from an empty project is fine even. I have not really been able to verify whether the .ccsproject file can be a generic one but you can also try that.
- try first creating project in the workspace and importing into this project or failing that workspace after.
Keep us informed how the above goes.
ok, I tried with this two files that I took from other projects, and I now have the following files:
.ccsproject that contains:
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?ccsproject version="1.0"?><projectOptions><deviceVariant value="MSP430"/><deviceEndianness value="none"/><codegenToolVersion value="4.3.8"/><isElfFormat value="false"/><rts value=""/></projectOptions>"
and .cdtproject with:
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?eclipse-cdt version="2.0"?><cdtproject id="org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.managedMake"/>"
and still I cant make it. Maby you can post your .cdtproject file?
I have attached a generic .cdtproject file for you but I think you will likely need the real .ccsproject file. So I can not really help you with that. Have you tried selecting "copy files into workspace" .... do you also get problems there? What errors do you see now?
Still I have nothing... Is it possible that my ccs5.1 does not support MSP430?
I will try to install the latest version of CCS.
Thanks for help. I will inform you here later about the results.
yes CCSv5.1 does support the MSP430. I will tell you what I will still be monitoring this thread but will move this to the MAVRK forum. Perhaps there are other experiencing the same. Unfortunately it may take me time to try to reproduce this as I would need to grab everything myself.
What exact error do you see? What exact steps do you take? Even the MAVRK team will likely need to try to reproduce this understand more details of your steps.
Ok, I will try to write here my steps. About an error - it is confusing, because there is no error. When I click on Finish button, the load slide shows me that is processing the importing, but after a while window disappears, and the project view stays blank.
Lisa TIyes CCSv5.1 does support the MSP430.
Here are my steps of getting projects.
1. I clone mavrk_embedded repository using TortoiseGit (http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MAVRK_Software_Installation_Guide). I have done everytning before the
Remote Repository Branchs for MAVRK section. My repository directory is: D:\Repo\makrk_repo_bak\mavrk_embedded.
2. Now, I want to load the project as mentioned in: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Software_-_My_First_MAVRK_Application_(Using_Code_Composer). The project dir is: D:\Repo\makrk_repo_bak\mavrk_embedded\Modular_EVM_Projects\System_Demo_Projects\Basic_MAVRK_MSP430F5438_Template\
The directory contains the following files:
3. I open CCS v. 5.1.0.09000. I start a new Workspace at this time.
4. I click on File, then Import. Import window shows up.
5. I choose Code Composer Studio, and Existing CCS/CCE Eclipse Projects. I click Next.
6. I browse for my project. I choose a directory: D:\Repo\makrk_repo_bak\mavrk_embedded\Modular_EVM_Projects\System_Demo_Projects\Basic_MAVRK_MSP430F5438_Template\
7. The project Basic_MAVRK_MSP430F5438_Template (D:\Repo\makrk_repo_bak\mavrk_embedded\Modular_EVM_Projects\System_Demo_Projects\Basic_MAVRK_MSP430F5438_Template)
shows up in Discovered projects field.
8. I select Automaticly import referenced projects. I leave Copy projects into workspace (it doesnt matter if i check this or no).
9. I click on Finish button. The bar at the bottom of page is loading.
10. The import window disappear, and lefts me with a blank Project Explorer view.
I think I import it in a standard way.
3. I open CCS v. 4.2.4.00033 . I start a new Workspace at this time.
5. I choose CCS, and Existing CCS/CCE Eclipse Projects. I click Next, and wait a while.
7. The project PROJECT_DIR(D:\Repo\makrk_repo_bak\mavrk_embedded\Modular_EVM_Projects\System_Demo_Projects\Basic_MAVRK_MSP430F5438_Template) shows up in Discovered projects field.
8. I leave Copy projects into workspace (it doesnt matter if i check this or no).
10. The importing process is interrupted by an error window: Managed Make Project File Error, containing a message:"The Managed Make project file could not be read because of the following error: The Managed Make project file for project PROJECT_DIR is missing.Managed Make functionality will not be available for this project"
10. I click the OK button, and then the import window disappear, and the project called PROJECT_DIR appears in the Project view. This project is useless, despite of containing proper files.
Maby someone have had similar problem?
Thanks in advance,
just an update. I managed to do two things. One is to see the same thing you do in CCSv4. The second is to successfully import into v5.1. I did nothing different. I get a couple broken links (ie a few include paths need fixing) but I get no empty project explorer. So I would double check your repository and also try with 5.1.1 over v4.
Hopefully people using MAVRK on this forum can help further ...
This post has some useful info about getting around the unresolved symbol (broken link) errors. Also, MAVRK in its current for is only for CCS5.1.
I managed to import and build project without problems - no problems at all!
I knew that something was wrong when I tried to add a target configuration and no MSP430 was there.
I just installed a CCS5.1 without installing MSP430 features... So, the full installation of IDE has resolved the problem.
But there is still a problem with CCS4. Maby the reason is the same?
I'm sorry for the mess I've done... and thank you Lisa for the help you gave me.
glad to hear all is now working and building for you. MAVRK examples are no longer supported in CCSv4 I believe.
All the best with the tools
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with respect to these materials. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.