I am trying to boot my AM3358 Starter kit using SPI (winbond W25Q64FV) Flash. Till now I have successfully configured SPI with the kit and could easily write in SPI flash using Flash writing code provided with starterware. The problem is I am unable to boot it using SPI as the code for generating "boot_ti.bin" for AM335x starterkit is not available in starterware. Yes I do find a code for booting using SPI in am335x folder but it is very much specific for AM335x GP EVM module and is not working on SK(Starter kit) so I just stuck in the middle. Is it possible to boot directly from SPI without using Altera CPLD(installed on EVM module). If yes can anyone please guide me how to make correct "boot_ti.bin" file.
Note: My boot sequence is MMC0,SPI0,UART0,USB0
In reply to Ahmed 10245:
In reply to key dongle:
In reply to Lalindra Jayatilleke:
I have been shifted to another platform so didn't get a chance to view posts on this forum (Sorry for that). I was using IAR 184.108.40.20670, starterware 02_00_01_01, CCS ver 6 and Winbond SPI W25Q64. Changes that I have made in the IAR code is as follows
1) Open the project located at C:\ti\AM335X_StarterWare_02_00_01_01\build\armv7a\ewarm\am335x\evmAM335x\bootloader using IAR
2) Define symbols in the project Options as described in the figure
3) Comment the SPI PINMUX configuration funtions used in BlPlatformSPISetup()
4) Rebuilt complete code, it will make "boot_ti.bin" . There is no need to change file name to MLO
5) Run the SPI-Flash-Writer tool using CCS located in "Flash\tools\flash_writer\src\spi-flash-writer_AM335x\SPI_Flasher "
6) On program execution it will verify the connected SPI flash and ask for the path of .bin file to be programmed.
7) In my case file was located in C drive so I simply write C:\boot_ti.bin at an offset of 0x0000
8) After flashing is complete Re-execute the program and this time flash your application_ti.bin file at an offset of 0x20000
I hope this will work for you as well.
@Ahmed 10245, deeply appreciative of your so detailed guide !
after some days, I still never give up !
(1) according your step, I have try to do that, using IAR tool to build the boot_ti.bin, which is the accessory file.
(2) then write the file to the flash MX25L12835E at the 0x0 address using my program, also read the image data out of the flash for comparing them, which is the same.
(3) similar to write boot file in flash, then write the app_ti.bin in the flash at the 0x20000 address.
(4) but when the board power up, there not yet boot from spi flash, console always print out "CCCCC..."
felt disappointed to see that.dear all,
the accessory file is the boot_ti.bin that arms to boot from spi flash for evmskAM335x config board,
could someone download the file and burn to the spi flash, help me verify the file whether can boot up the evmskAM335x config board ?
Ahmed, would you think this is a way to verify the file ?
now I do not know where the problem come from, the boot file not right or the hardware problem.
thank you all a lot !
In reply to Singamsetty Vamsi:
Hi Singamsetty, i have try that use the boot.bin which is little endian format, it wouuld not work.
and I add up the image size and load address total 8Bytes with little endian format in the front of boot.bin, it could also not boot up the board.
Thank you all the same !
Dear Key Dongle,
The file (boot_ti.bin) you have uploaded did not work on my board as well so your hardware seems well. Note I am using AM3358 starter kit with winbond W25Q64,128 SPI Flash. I am uploading the boot file that works perfectly for me. I have not changed the boot sequence.
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with respect to these materials. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.