I'm having a heck of a time getting the MAX3232 on my
board to operate correctly. I've attached a snippet of my schematic and
screen shots of all the relevant pins. I'm not sure what the C+/- pins
are supposed to look like, but I can certainly see a lot of ripple on
the V+ and especially V-. The RS232 output has the data I expect
basically modulated with this ripple. My terminal will display the correct character about 80% of the time but the other 20% is garbage.
I've checked and replaced the 0.1UF capacitors
checked the ground connection to the PC
I've checked that VCC looks pretty
I've| checked my schematic and layout symbol for errors.
I've checked multiple boards (I doubt the part is bad)
The one thing that I did see was that in my layout the
V+ and V- caps are connected through fairly small vias which may be
causing series inductance. However I was able to solder on caps to the
pins on the chip to bypass these inductors and the same problem
Note that the images I'm supplying are with the serial
connection connected. If I open it up I still see the ripple, but
it's a lower frequency (maybe a clue)
I've used these
types of chips plenty of times before without any problem, I'm pretty
Oops, when I originally posted I though I could update files. I'll just describe what I'm seeing: On my V- line a see -6 volts with about 2 volts of saw-tooth on top of it. I also see this saw-tooth on my data.
I would verify your capacitor values, they depend on the level of your Vcc. On page 7 of the data sheet it specifies the different capacitor values you should use.
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with respect to these materials. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.