TI E2E Community
C2000 32-bit Microcontrollers Forum
Difficulty w/ XDS100 JTAG on F28M35 ControlCard
I am trying to get the F28M35 ControlCard working with CCS 5.1.0.09000, and am having difficulty with the emulator interface.
The board is connected to the docking station, which is only being used for power. I also have the ISO USB JTAG connected on the ControlCard, but I believe there is some issue with the drivers that were installed when I connected this. I had already installed the ControlSuite, etc. This is on a Win7 32-bit machine.
Using the target configuration in CCS5.1 of XDS100v2 + F28M35H52C1, I get the following when I attempt to test the connection:
Execute the command:
%ccs_base%/common/uscif/dbgjtag.exe -f %boarddatafile% -rv -o -F inform,logfile=yes -S pathlength -S integrity
----[Print the reset-command software log-file]-----------------------------
This utility has selected a 100- or 510-class product.
This utility will load the adapter 'jioserdesusb.dll'.
An error occurred while soft opening the controller.
-----[An error has occurred and this utility has aborted]--------------------
This error is generated by TI's USCIF driver or utilities.
The value is '-151' (0xffffff69).
The title is 'SC_ERR_POD_OPEN'.
The explanation is:
This utility failed to open the adapter for a custom emulator.
The adapter returned an error.
When I look at the drivers that were installed, there are several USB serial ports and under USB Controllers is "USB Serial Converter A" and "USB Serial Converter B." I do not believe it installed the correct drivers for the emulator.
How might I remedy this?
I saw a post about the EEPROM of the FTDI device possibly not being programmed (http://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/tms320c2000_32-bit_real-time_mcus/f/171/t/21086.aspx), so I scanned the device with FTDI's FTProg 2.6.6 and it says it is a blank device (I have attached the XML template of the scanned device), but the supplied template is not in the correct XML format. The post references the older MProg, for which the template is formatted, which when I read and parse, it gives the error "ERROR - Read EEPROM failed Device 0."
I'd certainly like to get this up and running. I hope someone can help.
I know the Experimenter Kit and the dock station together have quite a few JTAG options, so I'll tell you how I made mine work. Only after you double checked this I would look into reprogramming the FTDI chips.
AFAIK there are 3 JTAG on the kit:
- one on the mine USB on the side of the board via a FTDI chip. <<< That's the one I'm using- one on the 13 pin header on the dock station connected directly into the board JTAG pins and you're supposed to use (buy) an external JTAG module to use it that way.- one on the dock station itself via another FTDI chip.
so how I made mine work:
- connect the board on the station and put on the table (for direction reference: board is standing with ethernet connector up and 100 pin DIMM facing down).- make sure that the switches SW1 and SW3 are ALL pushed UP (closer to the ethernet plug).- put a jumper on J8 on the dock station. This will disable the FTDI JTAG on the dock station and avoid driver conflicts on your PC.- power the board through the USB connector on the dock station and power the JTAG connection with a 2nd USB cable (mini usb) to the side of the main board. (total 2 USB cables connected to your PC)
Following those steps you make sure you have only one JTAG connected to your PC and that everything is properly powered up.
If it's still not working, go to windows device manager. There you can remove the drivers you installed before (BE CAREFUL, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU UNINSTALL SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO).
That is how it looks like on my computer and it connects perfectly!
Thanks for the thorough response.
I've done everything here, but for some reason the drivers aren't correct. I've attached the device list with the drivers installed when the board was connected (as highlighted).
Device list didn't appear the first time.
After much frustration, and since I didn't get much help, I had to experiment with it on my own. I seems I now have the drivers correctly installed. This consisted of using FTDI's FProg (not MProg as another solution suggested) and reprogramming the FTDI chip, which I don't think was ever programmed correctly.
I used some of the info in this page: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/XDS100#Q:_I_used_the_FTClean_utility_on_my_computer_and_now_I_can.27t_connect_to_the_XDS100.21_What_can_I_do.3F
But again, you have to use FProg, not MProg, and the template won't work. The most important thing to do is to change the PID and Descriptor.
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with respect to these materials. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.