TI E2E Community
Battery Management - Gas Gauge Forum
using MSP430f5529 code with bq76pl536
I am working on texas instrument's bq76pl536 evaluation board for battery management system. I received a code from texas i.e. slaa478 sample code, which i am using for my application to monitor batteries. I can get individual cell voltages of each battery connected. But i have following difficulties:
1. How can i get temperature values of each battery connected.
2. How can i get the information from board about how many devices/batteries attached to it.(without using predefined macros e.g. # Define).
3. How can i attach batteries with different cells to a single board. (e.g. if i can connect 3 batteries at a time. 1 with 3cells,2nd with 4 cells and 3rd with 5 cells).
1. PL536 EVM has two temp sensor.
2. Board doesn't give you how many device/cells attached. It has to be done by SW.
3. See figure 4 in the bq76pl536A datasheet. It had details how to connect 3 to 6 cells.
1. PL536 EVM has two temp sensor.-> The 3 ICS on the BQ76pl536 EVM have 6 temp sensors in total. I can see correct readings of the temp of IC on the Texas BQ76pl536 Evaluation software(BQ Wizard). but while using MSP430 as Host the 2nd IC shows 0 Temp where as the other two IC's shows proper values.3. See figure 4 in the bq76pl536A datasheet. It had details how to connect 3 to 6 cells.-> The current Sample code specifies same number of cells for all the BQ IC's attached. I want to have different no of cells for each IC ranging from 3-6 cells. Is it possible to attach similar configuration.
If you go to datasheet, you will see detail of how to sets number of cells. Yes, you can see your config to anyway you want.
Are you referring to middle IC?
Read the registers 0x0f to 0x12 of 2nd IC.
Does it have right value in the registers?
registers 0x0f to 0x12 shows 0xff value............
I am using slaa478 code from texas for battery monitoring using msp430F5529 ....
I want to change over voltage and under voltage setting value in run time that are already defined in program as a macro ........
is it possible???
I think you have to change the Macro.
but It again a fixed value........at a run time how it is possible?
you can't do that on RUN time. You need to program into the PL536.
There is setting for COV in the code. YOu need to change it. It will then program to PL536.
I am also using bq76pl536 evaluation GUI from texas with AARDVARK (I2C/SPI TOTAL PHASE).....in that we can change over voltage and under voltage on run time..............
Same thing i am trying with msp430F5529..........but it shows error...
I am searching for solution.........
Let me ask you one basic question. What do you mean by run time change?
What are you trying to do?
The Evolution module when used with the AAdravark to test the evolution board works properly with the OV and OV values specified on the GUI. Where as when the sample code is use the changes in the OV and UV values work properly with balancing procedure where as the ALERT and FA ULT registers still depend on the Macro values( values of UV and OV recovery and threshold ). We want a simple working of the BMS IC where we could change the OV and UV values without re programming IC similar to the EVM GUI .
Is there a way with which we change the threshold and recovery values of UV and OV when the program is already burned on to the IC. In this case we dont have to re program to just change the values.
Texas Instruments - bq76pl536 evaluation GUI with AARDVARK :
CFG_COV for over voltage and CFG_COV for under voltage settings.......
We can change these values and according to these settings it shows COV_FAULT ,CUV_FAULT , ALERT , FAULT register values....
MSP430F5529 (SLAA478 code) :
dCOV_THRESHOLD for over voltage and dCUV_THRESHOLD for under voltage settings,.......
#define dCOV_THRESHOLD 3700
#define dCUV_THRESHOLD 2000
is there any way to change these macro values(settings ) without re-programming IC?
YOu can do whatever you want.
1. You can disable OV and UV from PL536.
2. You can monitor the voltage and compare to your OV and UV.
That is only way. Basically, you are trying disable PL536 2nd level protection.
This is one way to do it.
I sent you my phone number. Call that number. let's talk.
I am using bq76pl536 EVM with AARDVARK I2C/SPI interface. It is working properly for 3 batteries.
Now I want to attached 6 batteries with 2 EVMs..for that i did registers settings which converts one EVM as a Host and other is Slave. But AARDVARK gives Communication error.
All content and materials on this site are provided "as is". TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to these materials, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. TI and its respective suppliers and providers of content make no representations about the suitability of these materials for any purpose and disclaim all warranties and conditions with respect to these materials. No license, either express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, is granted by TI. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from TI.
TI is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company. Innovate with 100,000+ analog ICs andembedded processors, along with software, tools and the industry’s largest sales/support staff.