This blog was authored by Don Shulsinger, Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Immedia
1. TI: What is Blink Home Monitoring?
Blink is a one-of-a-kind, battery-powered, ultra-affordable, whole home-monitoring system that’s simple to set up and use, and is equally perfect for both renters and homeowners. Its compact, totally wire-free design houses innovative HD video technology, plus motion and temperature sensors, to deliver instant home insight to your mobile device via the Blink App.
2. TI: What makes Blink stand out from its competitors?
Blink is a unique entry into the home monitoring space: a wire-free HD home monitoring and alert system that aims to make smartphone-based home insight easy and affordable for the masses--whether they rent or own. How? By building a product around three tenets that translate into real-life benefits for its rapidly-growing community.
- Make it affordable. With no monthly fees, users can create a whole-house system for far less than the cost of traditional home monitoring and security products, with the flexibility to affordably expand their system as necessary.
- Make it easy to set up. Blink offers simple, DIY set-up that requires little technical or toolbox know-how. Its battery-powered, wire-free design makes it uniquely appealing, in that users can truly place it anywhere - on a bookshelf or desk, flush on the wall, or in a corner--without having to worry about the nearest outlet, or unsightly wires draped across their home or apartment.
- Make it simple to customize and manage. Blink allows users to create a system that suits their lifestyle. Want to make sure your garage is safe? Arm Blink’s motion detection, and receive an alert and video clip if a door or window opens. Prefer to check in on your furry friend a few times a day? Activate Live View for a glimpse of what’s happening at home. Worried about a break-in? Add the optional, 105db alarm unit to ward off intruders. Want to keep an eye on your home while you’re away on vacation? Blink’s batteries last a year, giving you the flexibility to check in as much as you want.
- Users can also choose from two video storage options: free cloud-based storage (which holds 1440 5-second clips) or local USB storage (which holds over 40,000 5-second clips), and temperature and status alerts round out a rich feature set that’s scheduled to expand further in 2016.
3. There are many wireless connectivity technologies on the market. Why did you choose to integrate Wi-Fi® in Blink?
In an increasingly wireless world, convenience and flexibility are key. Through the use of Wi-Fi, we are able to provide the broadest possible number of consumers the power to move, operate, and use their system anytime and from anywhere. With its Wi-Fi-based technology, Blink makes access to one’s home and peace of mind just a tap away.
4. Why did you choose TI’s SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi CC3100 connectivity technology for your product?
TI's SimpleLink Wi-Fi technology is a cost effective, easy to integrate, low-power, small footprint solution which is ideally suited for Blink. By utilizing the SimpleLink device’s ability to support intermittent connection mode – in which the device goes into low power mode for extended periods of time, and then upon a sensor trigger indicates activity in the room – the device performs a highly optimized fast wake up, reconnection and transmission of visual data to the cloud. This low-power technology enables extended battery life of the product for a better overall consumer experience.
5. Where do you see your technology/solution going in the next five years?
With the advanced technology Blink already has in place, and the possibilities available in today’s fast-paced market, there is significant potential for our already one-of-a-kind system to continue to grow. As wire-free design is one of our primary differentiators, we are highly aware of the demand for outdoor-compatibility, and this may very easily be what our consumers see in the next generation of Blink. Another highly-requested feature is smart-home integration, and with convenience to our users being one of our top priorities, this is certainly a feature we are excited about implementing in the future.
For more information visit: