What is LaunchPad?
The LaunchPad is an easy-to-use, affordable, and scalable introduction to the world of microcontrollers and the MSP430 family.
- Easy-to-use – LaunchPad includes all of the hardware and software needed to get started. Open source projects and code examples help users get up and running quickly.
- Affordable – For $4.30, the LaunchPad includes a development board, 2 programmable MSP430 microcontrollers, mini-USB cable, PCB connectors for expandability, external crystal for increased clock accuracy, and free & downloadable software integrated development environments (IDEs) – everything you need to get started today.
- Scalable – The LaunchPad is a simple introduction to the MSP430 microcontroller family. As application requirements change, programs developed on the LaunchPad can be migrated to higher end MSP430 devices.
MSP430 LaunchPad features an on-board flash emulation tool for programming and debugging MSP430 devices via USB. Simply plug in your LaunchPad directly to your PC and start creating your own designs!
In addition to programming and debugging, the on-board flash emulation tool also allows for bi-directional serial communication with a PC. This allows data to be sent to the PC to be displayed on a hyperterminal or graphical user interface. Or, the PC can be used to send the LaunchPad board signals and commands.
The LaunchPad kit includes a mini-USB cable, so you're good to go right out of the box!
Interchangeable Target Socket and Breakout Pins
The LaunchPad kit supports all 14 and 20-pin MSP430G2xx Value Line microcontroller devices that are in the DIP package. Users can simply unplug and replace any of these microcontroller devices to start development.
Today, there are over 100 MSP430 Value Line devices that are supported by the LaunchPad kit, each offering various flash memory sizes and analog integration.
Also, all pins of the plugged-in MSP430 microcontroller is fanned out into easy-to-access break out pins. This makes it easy for developers to plug in external components, and fully support MSP430's growing BoosterPack ecosystem.
The BoosterPack Ecosystem
BoosterPacks are plug in boards for the LaunchPad development kit. The BoosterPack ecosystem will consist of designs from Texas Instruments as well as third part partners, and will provide multiple functions and span various applications. Each BoosterPack includes:
- Plug-in board for the LaunchPad development kit
- MSP430G2xx Value Line microcontroller device
- Pre-loaded firmware is programmed into the included microcontroller device for an out-of-box demo.
- Code examples, software libraries, and project templates are available online.
- Online Resources:
- Quick start guides, user guides, and datasheets are all available.
- Source code for the demo firmware is available.
- Hardware design files and schematics are also available.
Explore the growing BoosterPack ecosystem by clicking on the tab above, or clicking here!
How do I get started?
The LaunchPad development kit includes everything you need to start creating microcontroller-based applications using an MSP430 device! Follow these simple steps to get started now!
Welcome to the MSP430 family and happy coding!
- The MSP430 Team.