Other Parts Discussed in Thread: MSP-FET, ENERGYTRACE
This thread has been locked.
If you have a related question, please click the "Ask a related question" button in the top right corner. The newly created question will be automatically linked to this question.
Yes, the custom hardware includes other devices in addition to the MSP430. I'm less inclined to think that there is leakage on these devices since I know that the hardware is capable of achieving down to ~0.6uA with the same I/O configuration. (I put the I/O into the same configuration every time the device goes to sleep; theoretically, everything should be disabled except the MSP430.)
Yes, I am also using the SMCLK for a few peripherals: SPI, I2C. Do I need to disable each peripheral and the timer specifically? Or is disabling peripherals and timers handled in this call automatically?
__bis_SR_register(LPM3_bits | GIE);
Getting stuck in LPM1 makes sense to me. I was a bit confused because the EnergyTrace output seemed to indicate that the 430 was in LPM3 and the SMCLK was disabled. I will investigate this a little more.
Setting a low power mode does not turn off peripherals. That would kind of undo the clock request system.
Serial ports usually power down when not actively clocking serial data.
Be careful about those other devices. It is not uncommon for the clamping diodes on CMOS I/O pins to provide power to a device when Vcc is disconnected. Making sure that any such pins driven by the MSP430 are in a low state would be required.
Sorry, I've been a bit busy and haven't had much time to dedicate to this issue but I'm still working on this same issue. The nets seem to be pulled high or low correctly. I also tried disabling the clock request system (clearing xCLKREGEN) and SMCLK (setting SMCLKOFF) before LPM3 but this is still unsuccessful.
Thanks for the response. I have a couple questions about your test setup:
To proceed I think it'd be a good idea figure out if the debugging hardware is contributing to the power draw. I suspect it is not, but it will help to eliminate.
I may have a lead on the issue. I want to confirm this and then I can reach out with more information.
This is resolved now. There was a mixup with the boards. The confusion was that there were actually 2 different PCBs with different components populated, rather than one PCB with a change in power draw overnight. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for all the help.
**Attention** This is a public forum