Other Parts Discussed in Thread: MSP430FR2355
This is an update regarding two threads:
Here is an image of our board which is now in volume production:
I am posting this to draw closure to what was much work. I am grateful for the help from Cole Macias in helping with comments on those two threads and thought he and other readers might like to know how it all worked out in the end.
1. Making the MSP430FR2355 work with the DRV8320S was not easy. We found issues in the code from TI that needed to be resolved before we could use it.
2. We did use the Hall effect current sensing resistor on the ground connection of the MOSFETS instead of a fat low resistance resistor. It works well.
3. We also use the same current sensing IC to monitor the current consumed by the entire board. This works well, too.
4. We had a PIC on our earlier design as the motor controller. Using the MSP has an advantage in that we can program it from the main processor over the serial port. That is complex and even with the extensive documentation from TI took much work to be reliable.
With this design, we are driving BLDC motors up to 750 W.