This thread has been locked.

If you have a related question, please click the "Ask a related question" button in the top right corner. The newly created question will be automatically linked to this question.

UC1843-HIREL: Flyback transformer selection

Part Number: UC1843-HIREL

I am not able to get the part no of transformer shown in the application circuit "OFFLINE FLYBACK REGULATOR" Page No : 8.

My output voltage requirement is +12V Dc, -12 VDC and 32 V DC.

  • Hello Arjunan.  There are many companies that manufacture flyback transformers:  Coilcraft, Wurth, Pulse, etc.  They have off-the-shelf transformers for many voltages but I don't recall 32V being "common".  I think you should contact 2-3 transformer manufacturers and provide them your design specifications for a custom transformer: input voltage range, output voltages, output currents, isolation voltage.  Thank you, Eric.

  • Hi Eric Reicher, Is there a transformer providing +12VDC, -12V DC and +5 V as shown in datasheet?. I will contact the same manufacturer for customization.

  • Arjunan,

    The schematic you are referencing is not a ref design or an EVM but a "typical example" from a legacy PWM controller, where the BOM and component manufacturers are not listed. As Eric mentioned, if you provide any custom magnetics vendor your design specs this should be an easy task to design a simple flyback transformer for +5 V and  ±12 V output voltage windings. It is interesting that you are looking at a schematic from the UC1843-HIREL data sheet - if you need a high reliability design that includes military or space grade components, this might also limit your choices for magentics vendors capable of MIL-T-27 design for example. Google is a wonderful thing here. Thanks for connecting through E2E and good luck with your design.

    Steve M