Other Parts Discussed in Thread: SYSBIOS
We are looking at very low power floating-point DSP alternatives to the C55xx ultra-low power fixed-point DSP that we are very familiar with, and at first glance it would appear the TMS320C6742 is a good contender. I would appreciate some advice on very low-power floating-point DSP alternatives to the CC55xx devices, for which some of the following remarks below I would like some further clarification :
- The TMS320C6742 appears to have at most 128K of on-board memory. Is this the limit and are there equivalent devices with more than this ? What is the alternative to increasing the volatile memory, external EMIF etc ? (our existing code for the CC55xx devices used up prety much all of the DRAM and SRAM, so about 320K or so, so we'd be looking at this general target for internal memory usage at least ...)
- Is the 6742 a "low power" device as such and if so, how would it compare to a CC5515 device in terms of Watts/100MHz clock say, runing on a 3.3Vdd-io supply ? What I'm looking for is more of a ballpark figure, like x2 x3 or x10 more power consumption difference (or if I'm wrong, perhaps less ...) ?? I know power consumption my depend on many things, but if we assume say, that the same application code would run on both devices, what would the relative difference be ?
- In terms of hardware complexity, is there substantial difficulties and/or complexities moving to such a platform from a CC55xx background, given that local USB/Ethernet peripherals are not required etc is not required, rather the floating-point is what is the main peripheral addition being looked at for the application in mind ...
- Is the TMS320C6742 suitable for simultaneous use of one I2S bus, at least one SPI, and one I2C bus, one UART for low speed interface, and one parallel port for a screen-LCD/OLED type interface etc. (although serial I2C and/or SPI is also a possible screen interface option).... I'm saying this knowing that for the C55xx some combinations are pin-multiplexed so not all are sometimes available at the same time ...
- Porting an existing DSP/BIOS application made for the C55xx platofrm to such a device as the C6742 with SYS/BIOS would require a major code redesign ?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.