Here’s the most powerful and compact C2000 launchpad “LAUNCHXL-F28377S” which is equipped with TMS320F28377S Delfino Controller. Received the kit couple of days back and I’m back with a quick hands-on as usual.
Previous Hands-on LAUNCHXL-F28069M:
Now comparing with the previous launchpads LAUNCHX-F28069M & LAUNCHXL-F28027/F
- FASTEST @ 200 MHz compared to 90MHz (LAUNCHX-F28069M) & 60MHz (LAUNCHXL-F28027/F).
- 16-Bit ADC as compared to 12-bit in previous launchpads
- Additional peripherals like DACs, EMIF, DMA, McBSP, uPP that were absent in previous ones.
- Has CLA, TMU & VCU II accelerators
- Finally more memory (RAM & Flash)
First-time connection with PC:
The moment F28377S based launchpad is connected to PC, respective drivers get installed and a Virtual COM Port is assigned. This COM Port value can be verified by navigating to device manager:
In my case, BeagleBone USB Serial Port (COM49)
Running the Out-of-box demo:
This demo demonstrates the ADC sampling phenomenon by comparing the digital values with the mid-scale value (2048) to blink the respective LED (red or blue).
In short, if ADC value is less than 2048 : blue led would glow else if greater, then red led would glow. You can monitor the digital values on terminal application using COM Port.
I used Hyperterminal for monitoring digital values.
1) ADCIN14 (Pin 23) when left open ie floating or grounded: BLUE LED Turns ON
2) ADCIN14 (Pin 23) when connected to 3.3V ie J1 Pin no.1 : RED LED Turns ON
Conclusion and my quick thought on the launchpad:
By launching this kit, C2000 family is now well equipped with launchpads meant for basic to advanced applications covering real-time control applications such as motor control, digital power supplies, solar and renewable energy, LED lighting, smart grid, radar and more…
With LAUNCHXL-F28377S one can feel the power of Delfino mcu group with 5ns CPU cycle time!
Note: Don't forget to update your controlSuite for the board design files and out-of-box source code.
C2000 LAUNCHXL-F28377S Homepage