I need a detailed explanation why I cannot use SDFlash nor prg2xxx (an old DOS program) to reprogram TMS320F243. First of all I want to explain all of the things I've made.
AIM: We have a little old TMS320F243 board that should be reprogrammed.
CCS: CCS 3.1
Emulator: XDS510 USB PLUS
Algorithm files: The only algorithms spectrumdigital is released ==> (http://emulators.spectrumdigital.com/utilities/sdflash/c2000/sdf241_f243_v1.zip)
Used Flashing utility: SDFlash and sometimes prg2xx
Please not that : ALL OF THE BELOW WORKS ARE WASTE OF TIME BECAUSE NONE OF TI NOR SPECTRUMDIGITAL DOCUMENTS ARE STABLE AND METHODICAL for this issue. I just want to flash a little old F243 DSP but From 1 week work I cannot do that with a tool and I came to that step. I will program the flash within the code.
DONE WORKS BUT NOT SUCCEEDED
1. First of all I downloaded flash algorithm files from spectrumdigital.
2. I worked on algorithm files, examples, bat files and help files to understand them. However the released algorithm files, readme files for F240-f243 are very very complicated. Readme files in this released point a kind of old DOS program named prg2xxx and also the bat files in this released are based on this program. So I thought that this is an old DSP and I should work with prg2xxx not with SDFlash but I was wrong.
3. I found the latest prg2xxx from spectrumdigital http://emulators.spectrumdigital.com/utilities/sdflash/c2000/SetupPRG2xx_v332.zip
4. When I install this program My XDS510 was not worked. I investigated the situation and I see that the installation of prg2xxx installs an older version of drivers and sdconfig program that are not supported by XDS510 and also deleted XDS510 USB driver. It was very strange for me.
5. So I thought again that prg2xx is not for XDS510 USB. It is for older emulators. And I quit this way and return to SDFlash
6. In algorithm files there is an SDFlash workspace file for XDS510USB named “f243_dsk_xds510usb.sdp". So I was sure that I can use SDFlash with F243 chip with XDS510. Up to this time I'm not sure that this item can use XDS510 USB or can be used for F243
7. But where is the algorithm for programming. Erase, Clear&erase, test and verify have their own folders but not for programming.
8. So I decided to understand all of the procedures over internet for one week. And I'm now an expert about the sub programs.
Used algorithms in SDFlash:
To erase the CHIP: C2XX_BCX.OUT
To verify the chip: c2xx_ver.out
To program the chip : Source\C2XX_BPX.OUT (also I select my own out file to program)
Board file: (If not selected I can not reset the chip via SDFlash) : ccBrd024x.dat
Erase is OK. When I erase a filled chip I looked in CCS3.1 and all of the bytes within 0x0000-0x1FFFF (Flash region) were 0xFFFF
Programming and also verifying is not OK:
It says programming failed at address 0x00000000
And also gives an warningmessage about CSM place. Security password MAY not in expected state. I shoul look at the latest readme files for this issue
(Please do not hang on this CSM warning I' m nearly sure that this is a GENERAL warning SDFlash gives when It couldn't programme or verify the chip.
And plus erasing flash was OK. If there is a CSM problem erase would be a problem too. )
1. Can I use XDS510 USB Plus with SDFlash to flash an F243 DSP or should I find an older emulator and use with prg2xxx
2. If I can erase F243, I should program the chip but why I couldn't. Should I have to change and compile the programming algorithm files (Source\C2XX_BPX.OUT) with F243 flash addresses? or just missing something ?
3. Are programming algorithms and verifying algorithms general; not dependent on flash types (Source\C2XX_BPX.OUT). I'm asking these because I thought that these files are for TMS320F240 and flash addresses and flash size which may defined in algorithm codes should be changed and recompile for F243
4. Why is the SDFlash giving a warning about CSM feature. I know c28 series have this CSM but I'm not sure F243 has the CSM feature. There is no article about the CSM in TMS320F243 document. Actually this gives me a clue. If there is no CSM feature in F243 and SDFlash gives this error, I think the version of SDFlash I used must be older one too. My SDFlash is a new one that doesn't support F243 it supports for C28 series. "IS THIS COMMENT IS RIGHT"
5. TI Suggestet C2808 instead of F243. May be I can use the flashing tools for C2808 with F243 also. Can I do that or in general Do you know any other free program for F243 flashing
The article was too long but I should make everything clear. I hope my comments don't mix you.
Waiting for your urgent replies
Thanks for your helps