This thread has been locked.

If you have a related question, please click the "Ask a related question" button in the top right corner. The newly created question will be automatically linked to this question.

CCS/TIDC-EVSE-WIFI: linker error

Other Parts Discussed in Thread: MSP430F6736

Tool/software: Code Composer Studio

I got this error last step when it's linking:

cannot find file null: cannot find file
errors encountered during linking; "emeter-app-6736.out" not null: errors encountered during linking; "emeter-app-6736.out" not 

I have tried both V15 and V18 compiler, but results are same.

Please help. Thanks a lot.


  • Jim,

    Could you capture the build output from the console and attach it to the thread.  Looks like the linker is expecting a filename with a particular option (maybe -l) but the filename is missing.

    You could also check the linker options here and see if there is an issue with any of the libraries being passed.  Perhaps a build variable, ${name} that is not valid?



  • John, 

    Thanks for replying. I have attached the script and path dialog below for your review.



    -vmspx --data_model=large --code_model=large --near_data=globals -Ooff --opt_for_speed=5 --use_hw_mpy=F5 -g --gcc --define=__MSP430F6736__ --display_error_number --diag_warning=225 --silicon_errata=CPU21 --silicon_errata=CPU22 --silicon_errata=CPU40 --abi=eabi --printf_support=minimal -z -m"" --stack_size=80 --heap_size=80 --cinit_hold_wdt=on -i"D:/ti/ccs901/ccs/ccs_base/msp430/include" -i"D:/ti/ccs901/ccs/tools/compiler/ti-cgt-msp430_18.12.1.LTS/lib" -i"D:/ti/ccs901/ccs/tools/compiler/ti-cgt-msp430_18.12.1.LTS/include" -i"D:/ti/ccs901/ccs/ccs_base/msp430/lib" -i"D:/ti/ccs901/ccs/ccs_base/msp430/lib/5xx_6xx_FRxx" --reread_libs --warn_sections --xml_link_info="emeter-app-6736_linkInfo.xml" --relocatable --use_hw_mpy=F5 --rom_model --unused_section_elimination=on

  • JD,

    Interesting that there are no -l commands in that list even though there are some specific in your build options.  

    In the linker options you have libmath.a specified twice.  Once with an absolute path to a location in an old CCSv6 installation and then a second time without a path.  The one without the path will use the search path at the bottom of the dialog to find the library.  I would remove the one that references the CCSv6 installation for a couple reasons 1) the library is specified twice 2) you don't really want to use an absolute path as then the project is not portable.

    I would also remove the quotes around "libmath.a" to be just libmath.a